Sunday, October 2, 2011

THE MIXTAPE VS. THE ALBUM


In this world of piracy, bootlegging, and downloading, you gotta wonder how some of these artists still make money. Easy Answer: TOUR DATES! But thats not why I'm posting this. Its the infamous "MIXTAPE vs THE ALBUM" argument. The growth of the popularity of a mixtape has hisen at such a gradual state, especially within the last 4 or 5 years. Artists have the opportunity to have endless creative freedom and don't have to answer to ANYONE.
They can put hella snippets and create such an anticipation for their album like Lil Wayne with Dedication 2, & The Drought Is Over Series leading to Tha Carter III. Or it gives artists to put out whatever BS they want even thought most people don't want to hear it like EVERYTHING Lil B comes out with. A Mixtape is that starting ground and that fanbase builder for today's artists such as Drake, Nicki Minaj, Wiz, Wale, Meek Mill, and even singers like Bei Major & Frank Ocean. Its that getaway for when the label says NO, the mixtape says FUCK THAT!
Even though a mixtape is cool, cuz generally, ITS FREE, this tinkers with fan's opinions on the album. Take "So Far Gone" and "Thank Me Later" for instance. TML was a good album to me. I can pick it it back up and listen to some tracks. However, most people will say the same thing, ITS NOT SO FAR GONE GOOD. This mixtape really opened my eyes about how restricted an artist is when it comes to what they put on these albums. The trend goes on and on. Rolling Papers: IT AINT NO KUSH & OJ. Cole World: IT AINT NO FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS. Finally Famous: IT AINT NO FINALLY FAMOUS: THE MIXTAPE. Then again I guess they're the lucky ones, cuz most mixtape artists STILL can't put out an album. Look at Jae Millz.
Me personally, if the quality in music within a mixtape and album changed, I'd buy ALOT more CDs. However, thats not the case, so I might go to a show or 2. Till then, I'll just stay by my computer and see what I'm filling up in my music library. (._.)/

No comments:

Post a Comment